Monday 29 August 2011

Four Deadly Venoms

Believe it or not I'm currently sunning myself in Mallorca, which isn't really the sort of place I feel totally comfortable, but I wasn't paying, and it is nice to spend time with the family. The weather is hot and sunny, the sea is warm and choppy and it's also good to be away from work for a little while, internet access is slow and limited though.
This place is full of British numbnuts; way too many fat, loud families in football shirts, union flag beach towels and England t-shirts. Does another nation have so many people who like to show just how "proud" they are of the piece of land they just happened to be born on? On the evidence of the non-Brits here, no. One German kid is wearing a Leverkusen shirt, and that's it; no French, German or Spanish beach towels, no Polish swim shorts, no Italian t-shirts. In fact the only other non-British football shirts I've seen are Barcelona ones worn by British kids.
There are some terrible tattoos on show too.
Maybe I'm just grumpy, and the fact that I have a really painful bad back isn't making my mood very forgiving. I'm currently stuffing my face with as many pain relief remedies as I can get me hands on and just trying to find somewhere comfortable, which so far seems to be the sea, as long as I don't actually swim. Unfortunately the most uncomfortable place is my bed, so I'm not sleeping either.
I've been disappointed not to have spotted any lizards yet, but the bats give a good display around dusk, and there are plenty of fish in the sea, one of which had a little nibble at my ankle.
Right now I've just had an hour or so of hydro therapy, by that I mean I've been bobbing around in the sea, and showered, cleaning out the sand which seemed to have accumulated in every orifice.

Anyway, music. I started the week listening to OFF! and The Stupids, but after seeing someone wearing a Bad Brains shirt yesterday I'm currently listing to tracks from "Rock For Light" and the self titled CD. I love these songs, but I can't stand their later homophobic and sexist lyrics. Such a shame that such a great, ground breaking band proved to be so narrow minded and bigoted.

Speaking of t-shirts; apart from that Bad Brains one, I've only seen one other interesting shirt, an older guy wearing a Ramones shirt; older as in he was about my age, so there's a chance he has actually heard them. Oh, and Becca did end up wearing my Stupids shirt yesterday.

Elsewhere, most of the shops round here seen to be playing The Cure for some reason, with a couple of exceptions; one playing The Police and the other REM.

I have another week out here, we did hope to take in a footer match, but none of us fancy a two hour bus ride in this heat, with the possibility of not being able to get back, and no one has their driving license to hire a car; we also don't know if the Spanish games are going on this weekend. So with that out of the question it looks like we'll just have to keep avoiding idiots and I'll keep quaffing the pain killers, in the hope that I'll get some sleep at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment